Hints and Tips when Developing Web Pages
- Create a web site folder
for all your files
- Put all files and images in your webpage
folder before you link to them
- You edit in the web page editor (Dreamweaver,
- You view your web page in a browser
(Netscape Navigator, Internet Explorer)
- Plan, plan, plan and then prepare
your photographs, backgrounds, etc.
- You can only edit your web page in
the web page editor.
- Remember, you will be continually
switching between the editor and the browser. You cannot edit
in the browser.
- Save your web page frequently and
always before you view it in the browser.
- When you switch to the browser, remember
to click on the Reload/Refresh button to display the latest
- Remember, it takes time and practice
to create web pages.
Have one "front
door" - you should not have to knock (click) twice - do not put a
"Click Here to enter my site" page - go straight to your
Have smooth navigation -
all main navigation links should be visible on the opening screen
Keep the buttons or menu
items consistent from page to page - keep the same colour - keep in
the same order
Do not use spaces in file
Use lower case letters for
your file names
Be aware of the file size
of your images - should not exceed 30 - 40 Kb
Size of images displayed
on your page should be reasonable - not too big
Check the font colour and
background colour/pattern - ensure text is easy to read - good
contrast - are visited links easy to read